Dental Assistant is a skilled worker in the field of Dentistry, who will also function as a Patient Service Representative (PSR). PSR is a multi-skilled, technical person responsible for customer service, electronic patient registration/data processing, patient scheduling, revenue control, and to serve as support to clinical staff.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of dental office and procedures.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Ability to effectively organize time and materials.
- Ability to effectively work with Dentists, colleagues, patients and the public.
- Ability to work independently and without direct supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to sit, stand, bend, lift, and move intermittently during the workday.
- Ability to travel without assistance and as needed.
- Skill in understanding of, and sensitivity to, persons of all cultural, social, educational and economic backgrounds.
- Basic computer knowledge as well as medical office standards and practices.
- Ability to work and professionally communicate with patients, providers, coworkers, visitors etc.
- Ability to accurately record and input data in an EHR system and other overlay systems.
- Skills to organize and use time and resources effectively.
- Ability to multitask and work with interruptions.
- Ability to provide effective customer service/communication skills within the work environment.
- Ability to function independently and within a group.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions timely and accurately.
- Ability to keep patient and staff information confidential.
- Ability to multitask throughout the day and work under pressure.
- Ability to navigate insurance needs of patients.
- Ability to count/balance/manage money for services rendered and perform cash drawer tending responsibilities.
Graduation from an accredited high school or G.E.D. certificate; graduated from an accredited dental assisting school. Experience in a dental office practice or an equivalent setting; demonstrated ability to perform position duties; State of Mississippi radiograph permit; and CPR or BLS Certification. Candidate must be able to demonstrate a caring and positive attitude. Must be self-directed, motivated and demonstrate the ability to work independently and within a team.
- Performs radiographs appropriately according to the State Board of Dental Examiners; develops radiographs.
- Sterilizes dental instruments adequately and follows proper infection control protocols.
- Sets up dental trays appropriately.
- Assists in preventative dentistry by promoting oral hygiene to patients.
- Accurately charts on the CFHC Dental Chart.
- Performs any reversible situation under the direct supervision of the Dentist.
- Assists the receptionist by making appointment and answering the phone; assists in calling patients to remind them of their scheduled appointments.
- Prophy teeth if required by the Dentist.
- Treats patients with respect and aids the patient concerning dental problems which do not require the skill and expertise of the Dentist.
- Accurately completes the health history on each new patient.
- Monitors the supply levels and prepares purchase requisitions as required.
- Maintains operative equipment in an efficient and effective manner.
- Maintains sterile processes and documentation logs as specified within CFHC policies and Joint Commission requirements.
- Provides professional customer service when scheduling or communicating with patients and visitors.
- Maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- Works cooperatively with the clinical staff to coordinate patient schedules and maintain patient flow.
- Maintains an orderly and organized work area.
- Performs required tasks according to written procedures and is consistent with established processes for assigned job role.
- Must document and update data in the electronic record in a timely manner.
- Tracks and documents charges and money received from the patient, when assigned.
- When required, provides accurate and timely information to patients and clinical staff to include messages.
- Returns phone calls in a timely manner providing requested information.
- Arrive on time and follow daily assigned schedule.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Upholds, complies with, and enforces the Core Principles and Code of Conduct.
Please submit resumes with position applying for on the subject line to [email protected]